October 24th (Monday) is Food Day! Let’s celebrate.
First off … what is Food Day?? It occurs each year on October 24th and is modeled after Earth Day. It “seeks to bring together Americans from all walks of life to push for healthy, affordable food produced in a sustainable, humane way”.
The goals are to:
- Reduce diet-related disease by promoting safe, healthy foods
- Support sustainable farms & limit subsidies to big agribusiness
- Expand access to food and alleviate hunger
- Protect the environment & animals by reforming factory farms
- Promote health by curbing junk-food marketing to kids
- Support fair conditions for food and farm workers
That’s definitely something The Purple Carrot can get on board with!
The theme for Kansas City Food Day is Eat Real! Food Day challenges us all to celebrate the beauty and simplicity of real food; food that’s not prepackaged and full of genetically modified artificial ingredients, fillers, and chemicals.
It so very well relates to my own health motto, which is to eat close to the ground, and move.
Eating real can be as simple as shopping for organic produce at your local farmers market, eating at a restaurant that uses fresh local ingredients, or preparing more fresh foods at home!
You can check out Food Day’s website to see what your city is doing to be apart of this day. For those in Kansas City, there’s several neat events going on this weekend and this month you can be apart of. Check out the KC Food Day’s Facebook for more info.
What real food are you eating this weekend to celebrate Food Day?