Hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend!
Who didn’t watch the Superbowl?
I didn’t! I’m sorry, it probably makes me lame and uncool but please, don’t hate me because of it.
Moving right along, I thought I’d share a delicious dinner we had last week. I wanted something different, so I went with a rice and lentil loaf. I had never made one before, because let’s be real, they sound a little bit scary and don’t always look all that appealing. I wasn’t sure what to expect, and was pleasantly surprised.
We ate our lentil loaf with sautéed veggies and sweet potato fries (complete with homemade ketchup). I always, always love sweet potato fries, and it was a perfect side to the loaf.
Rice & Lentil Loaf
Inspired by Vegetarian Lentil Loaf Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup lentils (I used green lentils, but any will work!)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup ketchup (plus a little more if you wish to top your loaf with ketchup before baking)
- In a large pot, cook lentils in the 3 1/2 cups water for about 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain and half mash them (it’s okay to have some chunks left)
- Sautee the diced onions for about 7 minutes in the olive oil.
- Place the sautéed onions with the mashed lentils, add your cooked rice, sea salt, and ketchup. Mix together until combined.
- Transfer mixture into a greased loaf pan, and bake for about 1 hour, and let cool for about 15 minutes before slicing.
Note: Cooling is important to help keep the lentil loaf in tact.
It was a delicious dinner, and I think I’ll definitely be making this rice and lentil loaf again.