I can’t help but get caught up in the wonderful seasonal foods this time of year; apples, cider, soup, and my favorite lately … pumpkin. So let’s just get right to it. Pumpkin whoopie pies. Oh yes.
I seem to be seeing these around the web a lot these past few weeks, but I could not help myself, I just had to whip up my own. The cookies are light, airy and delicious with just the right amount of pumpkin flavor and the cream cheese filling is fluffy and fabulous.
Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies *makes about 3 dozen mini pies
-lightly adapted from Cooks.com
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups cane sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain pumpkin puree (I used Farmers Market Organic brand)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat together butter and sugar for about two minutes. Add eggs, beating well. Add milk, pumpkin and vanilla and beat until mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the flour mixture until combined. Drop heaping teaspoon sized pieces of batter on baking sheets. This recipe should make about 72 mini cookies. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes. Remove, and let cool completely.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Now it’s time to combine them!! Spread a heaping teaspoon of filling onto the flat side of one cookie, and top with a second cookie to make the completed whoopie pie. Repeat with remaining cookies, and store in air tight container in refrigerator.
- Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla on medium speed until fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy
These are especially perfect to bring to a fall get together - they’re mini so they go a long ways, and everyone will love them!
That is all.